Monday, January 7, 2013

Season Review : 7 of 10 ... Old School Central Park ... it comes in 3's .. #3

In 2012 I was committed to and played on 11 softball teams. Yes 11 you read that right. This is the seventh of an eleven part season review series that provides a review of their trials and tribulations

Team Review: Old School (Central Park)

Final Standings : Tuesday Afternoon Champions, but lost championship to Big Daddy

Insider Analysis: The old superstition "It Comes in 3's" is based on the idea that when two unlucky events occur within a short period, a third will happen soon. Well the third and final

bad thing happened when Old School (best team name in Softball) lost the Tuesday Central Park Day League Championship on Tuesday September 12th, 2011 to Big Daddy.
Let's rewind a second, I re-joined Old School in early July after my wack ass temp job ended (thank you for freeing me from that hell hole) and all Jimmy Myers asked of me was "help get us to the playoffs". I had kept tabs on them all year and knew they were running neck and neck with last season's champions Turtle Rock, I also knew they needed anyone with a softball pulse as getting guys to show up in the middle of a weekday afternoon is flat out brutal.

I was so glad I re-joined as I really liked the league and our team. Overall Old School had added a little bit more athleticism than the prior season and I liked our chances especially after we played some pretty cool games like:
  1. A well played 2-0 victory over Turtle Rock - Moved us into a 1st place tie
  2. An impressive 21-3 dismantling of a decent Three Monkeys team to move us into earn first place alone
  3. A Mercy over Gibson to clinch 1st
The first two rounds of the playoffs were wild and the softball gods rewarded me for delaying the start of my new job by one day just so I could play in the Tuesday afternoon final against Turtle Rock. I owed it to myself and Jimmy; it was only money after all. As for the game, it was a memorable atmosphere, as it was a cloudy and drizzly day with a fairly large crowd on hand to witness us rally from a 3-1 deficit to advance. 

Unfortunately, I missed the finals as I started my new career opportunity on September 6th and was upset to hear Old School had lost 6-3.  A bitter ending as everyone on that team will tell you anything short of a championship is considered a failure and a disappointment.

I ain't going to lie as my superstitious nature was semi relieved when I heard the news. I knew bad news came in 3's and with this third loss in as many days the bad news was out of the way and I could focus on the NY Fast Pitch Finals which was that very same evening (after work). I know selfish, my heart was with Old School, but deep down I knew that bad luck was over.

Team Future: As long as Jimmy Myers is playing Old School will live and be in very good hands. No School like the Old School.

No comments:

Post a Comment