Monday, October 24, 2011

Not Breaking News ... Luckily

Yesterday I was standing where in the on deck circle, where I was supposed to be, when the batter swung, missed, and then accidentally let go of the bat. The bat hit me dead in the face. In the Face!!!
I was only six to eight feet away.
Crazy

The best way I could describe it is "it was like getting punched on your chin at full force when your not looking". I was in complete shock and disbleief.

Both teams and the official rushed to my aide immediately. Thank you guys.

My teammates, the Trojans, tried to take me out but I refused b/c I did not feel dizzy or have concussion like sysptoms. I wanted to play after all http://softballinsider.blogspot.com/2008/04/are-we-not-warriors.html Are We not Warriors? More importantly, I felt I needed to play as it was helping me clear my mind and get over the trauma.
 
I stayed in teh game for 3 innings, but in the Outfield I felt/tasted blood from inside my mouth. Upon visiable inspection I was told I had a deep nasty ugly gash inside my mouth, was removed from teh game, and needed to go the emergency room. Being the stubborn bastard I am I stayed till the end of the game and then drove home to meet my wife.

 She took me to Jersey City Christ Hospital where I was admitted to the emergency room

and treated so well. They run a Great Hospital and emergency room. My wife was awesome throughout the whole event, she even did her homework
LOL!!
 X-Rays showed I'm like Bruce Willis

UNBREAKABLE!!!!!!


Only needed 5 dissolve-able stitches inside my mouth.
No Broken jaw or teeth. 
I got so Lucky - as no solid food for a couple of days is nothing to what could have happened

I will never stand within 50 feet of an on deck batter again. 
Neither should you.

Better yet, Stand behind the fence.

7 comments:

  1. Rick, I'm glad you are ok and you are, not 100%, but 1000% lucky. This is why I tell all on deck batters to stay much farther away, you just never know. I have seen worse. As for post concussion syndrome, we will know more when next season starts... Quick test, Who's your favorite Ump...: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there brother. I never stand on the on deck circle. Always behind the fence. I bet you will too now.

    peace
    jack s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope the bat wasn't damaged

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure it wasn't Castillo cock that hit you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wan´t one of those bats.

    ReplyDelete