Friday, June 18, 2010

Player Profile : Catcher in the Rye

When I was in high school one of the books they made me read was the classic "The Catcher in the Rye"
by J. D. Salinger. At first I didn't want to read it, but after a few pages I couldn't help but really like it (damn I wish I had someone that gave me a mandatory reading list nowadays). The book has so good even Catholic School made you read it.Anyway, I really identified with the books main character Holden as he cursed a lot and hated phonies. Holden always wanted to be a hero and had a weird fantasy about being the only guardian of numerous children running and playing in a huge rye field on the edge of a cliff. His job is to catch the children if they wander close to the brink; to be a "catcher in the rye".
While originally controversial and a bit under rated Salinger brilliance in provoking thought and reaching out and identifying with the nerdy awkward teenagers audience, like myself, made him and his novel a legend.
Ironically softball version of the "Catcher in the Rye" is also named Salinger, that is Jeff Salinger

the smart, sure handed, steady, line drive machine hitting second basemen (not a catcher) of Diesel Express. Jeff has helped the land of misfit toys Diesel Express players from falling off the softball ledge for years and I would like to commend/recognize him for his playing ability and leadership.

A true under the radar Softball Warrior and never a phony

1 comment: