Friday, January 22, 2010

Jet Locke

It's January 22nd and honestly I don't give a fuck about softball. Yeah emails and phone calls for the 2010 season have been happening, but that's all planning and scheming for a season that's over 2 months away. Really how can I possible care when the Jets,
yes I said that right the J-E-T-S JETS!! JETS!! JETS!! are in the AFC Championship Game!!!!!! Wow.. The odds are long against us as we face a great Colt team that went undefeated in games that mattered to them this season and are led by the world's greatest QB, Peyton Manning We are no means a LOCK to advance, but this whole Jet experience reminds me of another Locke, John Locke, no not English philosopher regarded as one of the most influential of Enlightenment thinkers, rather one of my favorite characters for my Favorite TV Show Lost
Locke is mysterious, intellectual and believes in mystical/spiritual explanations for why things happen in the world. Most NFL fans know why the Jets have been successful lately :
(1) good running game
(2) Defense
and (3) Luck/Faith/Destiny.
To win this week the Jet offense will have to score early and control the clock while the defense must disrupt Manning. Players will decide the game, but what of fate/destiny?? Ah that's the part that reminds me of John Locke
Top Ten John Locke Quotes that applies to the JETS
10. "Don't mistake coincidence for fate." - Colts let us in the playoffs and now we have to play them again? This is not a coincidence
9/8 "You Should have never left the Island" - Jet fans who quit on this team, and you know who you are, just come back as Locke would say "The Jet Island won't let you leave"
7. "Don't tell me what I can't do." - Jet defiance, arrogance, confidence in the face of overwhelming odds is undeniable
6. "This is my destiny!" - Loyal Jet fans at their rally feel this way
5. "If you Push the button, you save the world" - This is insane. Makes no sense. But the Jet season is also insane and makes no sense. Yet both involve pure blind Faith. As Jet fans, we have no way of effecting the game, all we have is blind faith.
4. "Me, well, I'm a man of faith. Do you really think all this... is an accident? We were brought here for a purpose, for a reason, all of us. Each one of us was brought here for a reason" - The Jet have ironically been a plane crash disaster (pun intended) of a team for years, but we as fans have survived, persevered. Jet purpose is clear now
3."I've done everything you wanted me to do... so WHY did you do this ? WHY ?!" Every Jet fans will feel this way if we lose at the end of the game
2. "Let's talk about the 800 lb GoRilla in the room Ben. Why did you kill me" - Like Locke, the Jets have risen from the dead.
and the Number One John Locke quote that applies to the JETS
1."I'm not lost anymore." - neither are the JETS
OK this blog has helped me get my Jet Nerd on and as a Jet fan I'm ready for Sunday, all I ask is that we don't lose in the end. That would be foul.
Much More important News:
I haven't mentioned anything about the disaster and emergency in Haiti but if you can donate anything please do so.
I used UNICEF http://www.unicef.org/ , but their are many other organizations that are involved in this humanitarian effort, please donate if you can because it is so much more than a game

1 comment:

  1. "Let's talk about the 800 lb GoRilla in the room Ben. Why did you kill me" Lovely quote this one. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete