Wednesday, April 8, 2009

SOFTBALL 8 MILE

While I know he has nothing to rap about anymore one of my favorite rappers of all time is Eminem.
Love him or Hate him - their is no doubt that he is a special talent.

While his movie 8 Mile sucked (except when he rapped) his song by the same name is clearly his best.

The 8 Mile, was more than a bus ride, it represented the long hard journey he experienced toward success. They often say the best part about life is the journey. Softball has it's own Journey. I know I'm a 40 year old loser nerd, but every time I hear this song it reminds me of the softball journey.

So Top Ten Lyrics from the Song 8 Mile that make me think of the softball journey

10. 8 Mile Lyrics : "Sometimes I just feel like, quittin I still might Why do I put up this fight, why do I still write "

Softball Connection:
This is 2 fold.
(1) I've worked so hard to become a better player, sometimes when you struggle or don't get a chance it gets very frustrating. Then again it is a game of failure and you should have realistic expectations.
(2) Why do I still Blog about softball? Is it worth it? I mean you get criticized or dissed sometimes, but as long as I have the passion for the game I will continue.

9. 8 Mile Lyrics : "Sometimes it's hard enough just dealin with real life Sometimes I wanna jump on stage and just kill mics And show these people what my level of skill's like But I'm still white, sometimes I just hate life Somethin ain't right, hit the brake lights Case of the stage fright, drawin a blank like .... Man fuck this shit yo, I'm goin the fuck home World on my shoulders as I run back to this 8 Mile Road "

Softball Connection:
Recession, Stress, Injuries, Family - sometimes the real world is hard to deal with, that's when you need softball more than ever.

8. 8 Mile Lyrics : "I look like a bum, yo my clothes ain't about shit At the Salvation Army tryin to salvage an outfit "
Softball Connection:
A picture is worth a thousand words

Man I'm glad I lost weight.

7. 8 Mile Lyrics :
Every song has a Chorus. It's the Theme. It's Core. It's Heart.
8 Miles chorus is excellent.
"I'm a man, I'm a make a new plan Time for me to just stand up, and travel new land Time for me to just take matters into my own hands Once I'm over these tracks man I'm a never look back (8 Mile Road) And I'm gone, I know right where I'm goin Sorry momma I'm grown, I must travel alone ain't gon' follow the footsteps I'm making my own Only way that I know how to escape from this 8 Mile Road "
Softball Connection:
It's simple the only way to get better and win is to take matters in your own hands. Practice, get in shape, play ball, be open to new ideas, don't go about playing in a mindless fashion. In other words, have a plan. No one else cares. No one else will do it for you. Hard Work is a must.
6. 8 Mile Lyrics :
"I'm walkin these train tracks, tryin to regain back the spirit I had 'fore I go back to the same crap To the same plant, and the same pants
Tryin to chase rap, gotta move ASAP.....Sometimes I get upset, cause I ain't blew up yet It's like I grew up, but I ain't grow me two nuts yet Don't gotta rep my step, don't got enough pep The pressure's too much man, I'm just tryin to do what's best .... I'll make it on my own off to work I go, back to this 8 Mile Road "
Softball Connection:
Like I said above, It's all hard work to break out of your scrub shell.
If your not a stud player there is no easy way out. Your not only fighting to get better, but your also fighting people past opinion/perception of you. Just keep at it, don't quit, the journey is long and hard but always try and do what's best for your player development. So corny but so true.

5. 8 Mile Lyrics :
"And I try, sit alone and I cry Yo I won't tell no lie, not a moment goes by That I don't pray to the sky, please I'm beggin you God Please don't let me pigeon holed in no regular job "

Softball Connection:
Dealing with frustration sucks. Losing sucks. Sterling Sharp once said that "Losing hurts more than winning feels good". I agree.
Also, wasted opportunity/time is a killer as well. No matter what we all think time is the enemy and we only have a limited time to play this game.
4. 8 Mile Lyrics :
"You gotta live it to feel it, you didn't you wouldn't get it Or see what the big deal is, why it wasn't the skillest To be walkin this borderline of Detroit city limits It's different, it's a certain significance, a certificate of authenticity, you'd never even see But it's everything to me, it's my credibility "

Softball Connection:
Softball is like the hood. It's all about credibility. Can you play? Do you hustle? Do you care? Can you manage? Can you recruit? Do you know what you doing? Are you reliable? I cannot emphasize how important Softball Street Credibility/Respect is. Like the credit card commercial says "Priceless". If you don't have it, then the journey to earn it is hard.

3. 8 Mile Lyrics :
"You never seen heard smelled or met a real MC who's incredible upon the same pedestal as me But yet I'm still unsigned, havin a rough time "
Softball Connection:
You can't play in softball until you sign with someone. Their are a lot of different ways players get signed/recruited. I usually get signed in a package deal. People ask me to play b/c they know I can bring the player they really want with me..... someone like Gil/Castillo. They basically use you to get to the pretty girl. This can have it's pros and cons, and deserves its own blog attention. Anyway, signing with the right team is key. Playing time, winning, friends, location are all key factors to consider.
2. 8 Mile Lyrics :
"But when it comes crunch time, where do my punchlines go Who must I show, to bust my flow Where must I go, who must I know "

Softball Connection:
When you get a chance you must show you can play. You don't have to be Barry Bonds on steroids, but you can't embarrass yourself. Keep your mouth shut and play hard.
and the Number One Lyric from the Song 8 Mile that make me think of the softball journey
1.8 Mile Lyrics :
"And it's cold, tryin to travel this road Plus I feel like I'm on stuck in this battlin mode My defenses are so up, but one thing I don't want
is pity from no one, the city is no fun .....
I got every ingredient, all I need is the courage Like I already got the beat, all I need is the words
Got the urge, suddenly it's a surge Suddenly a new burst of energy is occured Time to show these free world leaders the three and a third
I am no longer scared now, I'm free as a bird Then I turn and cross over the median curb Hit the 'burbs and all you see is a blur from 8 Mile Road "
Softball Connection:
It's simple.
You either have the Softball Fever/Desire or you don't.You have to get out there and play, try new leagues, make connections, always try to step up your game.
Like Eminem raps "I must travel alone ain't gon' follow the footsteps I'm making my own Only way that I know how to escape from this 8 Mile Road "

No comments:

Post a Comment